Wednesday, November 2, 2011

French etiquette

I'm back, after so many days. It was a  really a busy time, with my work and all the material for the project being shipped from L.A. (actually, Emily came along with them). So I spent a few days trying all the devices (springs mostly) and hopefully everything was ok. 
Emily came in the operating room with me...and she was out in a few minutes. I guess is easier for her testing astronauts than looking at bloody hands. 
And then, surprise, Mark, my neighbor from South Pasadena, came to visit and we went all together for a dinner at my boss's house. The funniest thing is that I told both Emily and Mark that, as a rule, in France, when you are invited for dinner at 8.30 pm, you shouldn't show up until 8.45 pm. I know, it's almost the same in Italy. It just gives the guest some time to relax before the people arrive...well, they actually didn't believe me so they were very anxious when we showed up at 8.35 pm...they thought we were late and that we were rude. 
It turned out that, obviously, we were the first one to arrive. In fact the other guests showed up from 8.45 pm afterword. Strange things happen in Paris...
So if you are invited for dinner in France, check some websites, as this one (under "etre recu"): 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

As usual, comments are welcome and much appreciated.