Monday, January 23, 2012

Old church = strong balconies

We went with our new Michigan friends, Linda and Joe, to hear a concert in the Eglise Saint-Eustache. 
The organ, 8000 pipes, is one of the largest in France. The organist was incredibly talented and, from what I heard, it seemed to me that there were not only 2 hands, but 10 or more playing the keyboards! 


Needless to say, it was J.S.Bach music:
  • J.S. BACH – Sonate en trio en Ut mineur – BWV 526
  • J.S. BACH – Prélude et triple Fugue en Mi bémol majeur – BWV 552
Although my son's name was inspired by this composer, I'm not such a big fan....Giuseppe is already screaming, I just said a blasphemy!

The church is impressive, with a vault 108 ft tall and, since I am reading Ken Follet's "The pillars of Earth", I started counting all the columns, the windows...then I almost fall asleep.


Interestingly, I discovered that inside the church, in one of the chapels, there a triptych made by Keith Haring, the artist famous for his colored "figures"....this one is made of bronze and white gold: 




Gothic art and contemporary art in the same Church...inspirational! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

As usual, comments are welcome and much appreciated.